Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Crossing Cultures: A TED-Ed Lesson

This year, I have been applying the flipped classroom in my high school health class. It has been a joy going through the process, and it originally was for a Research Methods class where we completed an Action Research project. Needless to say though, after my project was done and turned in, the students and I all agreed to continue the flipped classroom method. As the teacher, I simply had to inform them that I wouldn't be able to flip as much as we did during the project period because I have priorities in life. Not burning out is intentionally one of them.

This semester, I am taking a Trends and Issues in Educational Technology course. One of our assignments recently has been to make a TED-Ed video. I would've used TED-Ed for my flipped classroom project, but the site's videos that originate on YouTube are blocked in China. (Thus, I turned to Schoology, which wasn't too bad, but the uploaded videos took an extremely long time to load since some plug-ins have connections with Google, also blocked.) For this current project, I utilized a video I showed to my 6th grade English class at the beginning of this school year while we learned together about Crossing Cultures. Below is the YouTube clip that I hope will inspire learning, open-mindedness, and curiosity. Check out the whole TED-Ed lesson I made for more details, questions, and guided discussions.


3 comments:

  1. I find it difficult that you have to do work-arounds for you coursework, it makes me think about ways to teach across countries. I enjoyed your lesson, there is nothing I would change as long as you felt the questions were appropriate for the age group. Another way to do this might be to show the video and do a Google Form? Or does that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google Forms wouldn't work for my context. Therefore, I'd use something like Schoology, Quip, or something of the like.

      And yes, teaching across countries is something I wonder if the program or some professors have considered.

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done Daniel, work-arounds included. I applaud your hard work and discoveries during your Action Research Project.

    ReplyDelete